HostGator Change DNS Records
In this article, I am going to show you how you can change DNS entry in the name server. This article is going to be an advance technical level article. If you are searching for name servers then you should visit this page. In this article, we will discuss only DNS records which are set in the zone file.
DNS server converts the domain name and sub domain name in to IP address. In each DNS servers, there are zone files. In each zone file, there is information about domain name and IP address. Each record is called DNS record. DNS records are the data which actually store the domain-IP conversion data.
Why Do You Need to Change DNS Entries?
There are many situations where you may want to change the DNS records. If you want to host your sub domain to any other web hosting company then you may need to change the DNS record (A) for your sub domain. If you want to assign a static IP address to your website then also you need to change the DNS record.
If you want to host your email to Gmail then also you need to set the CNAME and A record for your mail URL. There are many other cases where you may need to change the DNS records. Just understand that whenever you need to change the IP address for the domain name, you need to change the DNS record. You can change DNS records from the cPanel.
Change DNS Records Video
In this video, I show you how you can change the DNS entry in the HostGator. Watch the video to learn the process.
DNS Records Practical Implementation
If you want to change the DNS records then you need to follow these steps. In this demonstration, I will make two DNS entries. One is for the sub domain dnsdemo.thisismybrandnewdom.com which will point to 98.23.09.123 and the other is the CNAME entry which will point to dnsdemo.thisismybrandnewdom.com.
1) First login to HostGator cPanel using the cPanel username and password.
2) Then scroll down. Under the Domains section, click on Simple DNS Zone Editor button.
3) Here select the domain for which you want to change the DNS records.
4) I will first set A record. You need to set A record when you want to point an IP address for the domain or the sub domain. Enter the sub domain name in the Name field and IP address in the Address field.
5) Now click on “Add a Record” button. A success message will appear like following.
6) To create a CNAME record, enter the source domain name in to Name field and enter the destination domain name in to CNAME field.
7) Then click on “Add CNAME Record” button. You will see a success message like the following.
Once all the records are added or edited, make sure that all of them are showing under User-Defined Records. Also double-check the IP address records just to make sure that you haven't added any wrong information.
That's it. You have just learnt how to add or edit DNS records in your HostGator account.
Back to Hostgator Tutorials
Go to Home