PhpBB is open source software that showcases in form of bulletin board. It's actually designed for managing a group of people. It can also be used for powering a given website.
- PhpBB is made available free-of-charge. You don't have to pay any hidden fees to use it.
- It comes with a huge database made up of styles and modifications that can be created by the user. The database also contains several images which can be customized when creating forums.
- The latest version 3.1 of phpBB comes with high security and modular design.
- It also supports multiple language interface
- The new version also supports multiple database servers
- It equally comes with complete layout which can be customized.
PhpBB comes with diverse benefits. It requires a full time registration process for every single user. You can customize your registration as you desire. Once your account is activated, you can start using the platform.
phpBB encourages easy and fast discussion through posting of ideas. You can start a thread or post any time provided you're registered. Other users can comment on the post and also share their ideas.
Files can be shared when they are uploaded on a forum created with phpBB. All the forum members can benefit from the entire process. The users still have lots of options at their disposal.
There are moderators that make up part of the platform created with phpBB. Their duty is to maintain order by helping users as often as possible. They also enforce rules on the users.
It's easy to form “usergroups” on forums created with phpBB. The usergroups can easily be organized by the moderators. This makes the entire discussion process smooth and interesting.
Private message is allowed on forums created with phpBB. You can send private message to any other forum member at any time. You can also expect proper response from the person.
When it comes to security, phpBB is right there. It's actually taking the lead in terms of open source security. Your personal data and other details are secured when you use the platform.
PhpBB comes with anti-spam feature which helps in keeping your board free of spam messages. It can also prevent unwanted users from accessing the platform. There are also other multiple security tools that are designed to secure users when they make use of phpBB.
Data management is very possible when using phpBB. The software supports diverse kinds of storage servers which can help you manage data with ease. It also uses advanced caching feature in increasing daily performance.
There are several plugins that come with phpBB. You're free to use them as you desire. You can as well explore other exciting features that come with the software. You've got a lot to gain when you start using the software.
In all, phpBB has lots of benefits to users. Web developers, designers, content managers and every other online user can be happy using it. You've got to learn more about the software by visiting its official website.
Install phpBB on HostGator
After hearing many good things about phpBB, you might want to install it on your hostgator account. Just go through following steps and you can install phpBB on your server.
1) Login to your HostGator cPanel account.
2) Open the quick install page. You can find quick install button under Software/Services section.
3) Click on the phpBB link from the left navigation bar. You will find the phpBB under Forum section.
4) Click on Install PhpBB button.
5) Now you need to enter the URL address where you want to install your phpBB forum. You also need to give the admin email address. Once you have given all information click on Install PhpBB button.
6) You will see the installation process.
7) Once the installation is complete, you will be given admin username and password. Please keep record of this information as you will need this information at the time of login to your forum.
Now phpBB is installed on your site. You can start using the forum.
Uninstall phpBB From HostGator
You will never need to uninstall the phpBB installation but just in case if you want to uninstall phpBB forum , use following steps.
1) Login to your cPanel account and get to quick install page.
2) Click on Manage Installations button.
3) You will see the list of installed applications through quick install feature.
4) Find out your phpBB installation list and click on Uninstall link beside the list name.
5) You will see two options. Cancel and Uninstall. Click on Uninstall Script button and your setup of phpBB will be uninstalled.
So now you have pretty good understanding of how to install and uninstall phpBB on HostGator account. Go and try it yourself.
Back to Hostgator Tutorials
Go to Home